This is an extra-ordinarily big call to make but believe me when I say this is one potato salad you won’t forget in a long time! I made both the non-vegan and vegan version for Christmas and can confirm that both are rather sensational.
- 1 medium sweet potato, washed well (+/- peeled, up to you!)
- 4 Kippfler potatoes, washed well (+/- peeled, up to you!)
- 1 leek, green portion removed and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup garlic aioli (or vegan mayonnaise with 1 clove garlic)
- Small pinch of saffron threads
- 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- Prick the Kippfler potatoes. Chop the sweet potato into chunks.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and boil the Kippfler potatoes until soft. Remove and do the same with the sweet potato.
- Heat a frypan over medium heat. Add a small amount of olive oil and fry the leeks until soft.
- Allow the saffron threads to steep in 1 tbsp water until yellow in colour.
- Mix the aioli with the saffron mixture and chives until well combined, then toss through the leek and potatoes. Return to the fridge to chill until serving.