These are remarkably similar to the Lamington Cupcakes on this site, just slightly less chocolately (but still delicious!).
The cupcakes are based on a recipe by Donna Hay in her book The New Classics.
- 1 1/4 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 100g butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 60g butter, softened
- 3/4 cups icing sugar
- 3/4 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180*C. Line a 24 cup muffin pan with cases.
- Mix the flour, butter, milk, sugar, eggs and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until they spring back when poked in the centre. Allow to cool completely before icing.
- To make the icing, mix the butter, sugar, milk and vanilla with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- To decorate, top the cupcakes with the icing mixture, followed by a small amount of jam. Sprinkle the shredded coconut over the top.