Another wonderful Australia classic given a modern twist!
I turned to inspiration from my all time favourite cooking magazine, Super Food Ideas, and their January/February 2014 issue in which they gave the humble Lamington a glamorous makeover. The cupcakes are also based on the cupcake recipe by Donna Hay in her book The New Classics.
- 1 1/4 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 100g butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 60g butter, softened
- 3/4 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 3/4 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
Tools – a clean, unused 5ml syringe (can be picked up from most chemists or bought on ebay)
- Preheat the oven to 180*C. Line a 24 cup muffin pan with cases.
- Mix the flour, butter, milk, sugar, eggs and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until they spring back when poked in the centre. Allow to cool completely before icing.
- To make the icing, mix the butter, sugar, cocoa, milk and vanilla with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- To decorate, fill the syringe with jam and inject each of the cupcakes in the middle with 1mL, before spreading the icing on top and dressing with shredded coconut.