This is an adaptation of a recipe by Healthy Chef Teresa Cutter, a deliciously moreish spiced pear and apple cake with the added benefits of being gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free (still uses rice malt and maple syrups though, so be wary if you’re counting carbs etc).
- 2 small granny smith apples, diced
- 2 small pears, diced
- Hot Cross Bun Spice Mix (alternatively, 1 tsp each of cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, ground cloves and nutmeg)
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- To make the spiced fruit: preheat the oven to 180*C. Place the fruit in a bowl with the spice mix and stir to combine. Place in an oven proof dish and bake until soft (20 minutes or so).
- Combine the almond meal, coconut flour, oil , syrups, almond milk, eggs and baking powder in a bowl and stir to combine. Then add the fruit and mix again.
- Transfer the mixture into a cake or tart tin and press down firmly. Bake until golden and cooked through (approximately 45 minutes). For extra crunch you can also bake with some brown sugar and coconut flakes on top, or to make this extra decadent, poke holes through the cake and pour caramel sauce or maple syrup into them!