This is not quite your average sushi! I love the taste of brown rice but don’t always feel like the carbohydrate load that comes with it. Instead, you can achieve the same gorgeous nutty flavour with cauliflower and tahini.
Broccoli Avocado Tofu Sushi
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1/2 medium cauliflower head
- 1 small head broccoli
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- Handful spinach leaves
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 200g medium firm tofu (plain or flavoured!)
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 2 sheets nori (seaweed)
- 1/2 cup stock (I recommend using vegetable or chicken stock for this recipe)
- Grate the cauliflower using a food processor or box grater until fine. Add 1/2 cup stock and cook in a rice cooker in the microwave for 7-10 minutes or until soft and the water absorbed. Drain any remaining water and add the tahini to the cauliflower mix. Stir until well combined.
- Break apart the broccoli florets into small pieces. They can be eaten raw or if you’d prefer them more soft, blanch in boiling water for 1-2 minutes.
- Place the nori on a sushi mat. Spread the “rice” on nori until 2/3rds covered. Then add the avocado,broccoli, tofu and spinach along the longitudinal side. Roll the nori and cut into four pieces. Serve with teriyaki sauce.
Mushroom and Spinach Sushi
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1/4 cauliflower head
- 1 heaped tablespoon tahini
- Handful spinach leaves
- 1/4 medium avocado
- 4 button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 sheet nori (seaweed)
- Slice the mushrooms and allow them to marinate in a bowl with the soy sauce for 10 minutes.
- Grate the cauliflower using a food processor until fine. Add 1/4 cup of water or stock and cook in a rice cooker for 5 minutes until the water has been absorbed and the cauli is soft. Drain any remaining liquid and add the tahini to the cauliflower mix. Stir until well combined.
- Place the nori on a sushi mat. Spread the “rice” on nori until 2/3rds covered. Then add the avocado, mushrooms and spinach along the longitudinal side. Roll the nori and cut into four pieces. Eat!
Sweet Potato Sushi
This version has a sweet potato and roasted cauliflower “rice” with leafy greens and tofu. The recipe serves 2 (or 1 if you’re hungry!), making 6 sushi rolls.
- yaki nori seaweed sheets
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1/4 white cauliflower head
- handful leafy greens (lettuce, spinach, rocket etc)
- 200g medium firm tofu
- soy sauce to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220*C. To make the “rice”, grate the cauliflower and bake for 10 minutes. Peel and chop the potato into chunks and steam until soft. Mash the potato and mix in the grated cauliflower until well combined (add salt and pepper to taste).
- Using a bamboo sushi mat, place the seaweed shiny side down. Spoon the “rice” along the seaweed leaving a 3cm margin at one end. Place the sliced tofu and leafy mix along the opposite end and use the bamboo to roll the sushi, so that the 3cm margin is at the end. Cut roll into three pieces. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Serve with teriyaki or soy sauce on the side.