Life is about balance. One of my favourite things will always be to sit on the beachfront with a glass of wine, eating freshly cooked fish and chips. Ahh the serenity!
However, eating a deep-fried laden, newspaper wrapped parcel of delight is not always a beneficial decision for your arteries.
Enter fish and chip’s sexy, healthy cousin – lemon lime calamari with sweet potato salad and tahini sauce. It’s the perfect combination of soft, crunchy, sweet and tangy with a garlic hit. A great weeknight alternative when the beach is just a little too far away!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 squid hoods (1 per person)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 red cabbage
- 2 small purple sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 brown onion
- 50g packet of baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons natural Greek yogurt
- Slice the squid hood into rings and place in a bowl with the lemon, lime, parsley and finely sliced garlic cloves. For best results, marinate overnight, but will also work if marinated for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200*C. Use a mandolin slicer to finely slice the potatoes (keep the skin on) and mix with the olive oil and salt. Slice the onion into wedges. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake the potatoes until crispy and the onion until golden and soft (15-20 minutes for both).
- Finely slice the cabbage but keep the spinach leaves whole. Separate the onion layers and slice. Add to the salad mix with the sweet potatoes.
- To make the dressing, mix the yogurt and tahini with a fork until combined.
- To cook the calamari, remove the rings from the marinade, place a piece of baking paper on a non-stick fry pan and cook the calamari on top, turning after 3 minutes on each side. The rings should be slightly golden and soft to cut into.
- Place the dressing in a small bowl; place the salad on a nice plate and top with the calamari. Best served while the potatoes and calamari are still hot!