I love risotto but seldom make the real version myself at home as I find my stomach is far too bloated after large amounts of rice. This recipe satisfies the risotto craving while also being a little kinder on the stomach. It definitely tastes better if refrigerated overnight as it gives the mixture a further chance to thicken. Great for taking to work as lunch the next day!
- 1 can extra light evaporated milk
- 100g pumpkin
- handful of mushrooms
- 1/4 head cauliflower
- 1/2 head broccoli (including stalk)
- 1 brown onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 celery stalk
- 100ml salt reduced (or homemade) chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary leaves
- Preheat the oven to 200*C. Grate or process the broccoli and cauliflower until fine. Chop the pumpkin into small cubes and bake for 10 minutes.
- Finely slice the onion, celery and garlic.
- In a small fry pan, brown the onion, garlic and celery until fragrant and semi translucent. Add the broccoli and cauliflower with chicken stock and cook until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and evaporated milk and simmer until mixture reduces. If the mixture doesn’t thicken enough, add 1 tablespoon of psyllium husk and stir continuously until desired consistency is achieved.
- Add the roasted pumpkin pieces and rosemary before serving.