This is a deadly morish combination of mango, alcohol and chicken. The first time I cooked this for my family, I had to cook it twice as I ate the entire first batch by myself. Definitely NOT low sugar but oh so tasty!!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 chicken thighs, skinless and boneless*
- 1 brown onion, sliced finely
- 1/2 cup flour
- 30ml Malibu (coconut flavoured rum)
- 250ml mango nectar or 1 large mango, pureed in blender**
- Oil for cooking
- 2 cups white rice
- Small handfull macadamia nuts
- Small handful baby spinach leaves
* Thigh cuts are generally cheaper than buying chicken breasts!
**If you are not a fan of mango, apricot or pineapple nectar works just as well
Method (estimated cooking time of 30 minutes)
- In a large deep based saucepan, satuee the onions in a splash of oil until colourless.
- Chop the chicken thighs into large chunks and lightly dust them with flour. Add to the onions and cook until brown.
- Add the mango (nectar or puree) and bring to the boil. Add the shot of Malibu and stir until the liquid reduces to coat the chicken in a sticky thick mixture.
- Steam the rice (I use a microwave rice cooker for 15 minutes, otherwise you can use the stove top) and add finely chopped baby spinach leaves and macadamia nuts.
- Serve the chicken with the rice.