Next time someone tells you to eat more vegetables, make Fettuccine Alfredo! (“Um, what?!” I hear you say!). This recipe is a great plant-based and gluten-free take on Fettuccine Alfredo, adapted from a similar one on the Tastemade Facebook page.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 4 tbs olive oil Nuttalex (or other non-dairy olive based spread)
- 2 tsp garlic powder (or 2 cloves garlic, sauteed until soft)
- 2 tsp onion powder (or 1 brown onion, sauteed until soft)
- salt and pepper to taste (or your favourite Italian seasoning)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 200g mixed mushrooms (roughly chopped)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast or grated cashew cheese (or alternatively, I used Extraordinary Food Co Cashew Parmesan)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200*C. Break the cauliflower into small florets. Drizzle with olive oil and roast until just charred around the edges and soft (around 15-20 minutes). Allow to cool slightly.
- To make the zucchini noodles, use 1 zucchini per person and turn in a spiralizer (you can also buy some zucchini noodles pre-madein the produce section of major Aussie supermarkets).
- Place the cauliflower, half the Nuttalex, almond milk and seasoning in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth (note that mine looks slightly lumpy in my pictures as I didn’t blend for long enough and started with too much cauliflower!).
- Heat a medium fry pan over a medium heat. Add the other half of the Nuttalex with the mushrooms and sautee until soft.
- Remove the mushrooms from the pan and pour the sauce in to heat it up, then add the zucchini noodles and toss to coat (but not to cook, so do this quickly). Serve topped with the mushrooms and your choice of cheese.