Warning – these are totally delicious and unashamedly messy!
Using eggplant instead of taco shells is a novel way to increase your vegetable intake, as well as cater for those who may not be able to eat usual soft taco wraps. My suggestion of a healthy vegetarian version is below!
- 1 large eggplant, sliced length-ways
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 200g medium firm tofu
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning (I used 1/4 tbsp each of Sally and Sahara blends by Mingle Seasoning)
- 1/2 yellow capsicum, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup red cabbage (pickled or plan)
- salad bits (I used slaw and spinach here)
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese
- Preheat the oven to 220*C. Finely slice the eggplant length-ways, spray with olive oil, and bake for 10-15 minutes or until soft. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- To make your tofu ‘mince’, crush the tofu with a fork and mix with the seasoning and tomato paste.
- To construct your taco, place the salad bits on top of the eggplant, followed by the tofu mix, finely sliced cabbage and capsicum, then top with cottage cheese and avocado. Eat while attempting not to dribble any juices down your arms…..