They’re all the rage at the moment on social media – these incredible, sugar-loaded, calorie dense, wonderfully excessive milkshakes, adorned with baked treats and lashings of cream. While they certainly make for an impressive treat that can be enjoyed in moderation, they’re just too sweet for me.
And so the HEALTHY BREAKFAST FREAKSHAKE was born (and yes, it’s in capitals because I am that excited!).
Infinitely lower in calories and sugar, with a lot more protein to keep you full through to lunch, this is one milkshake guaranteed to bring all the boys to the yard (mainly the ones with muscles).
Ingredients (makes 1)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 scoop IsoWhey vanilla pea protein
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Stevia to taste
- 1/4 cup Chobani plain Greek yogurt
- 1 healthy donut (for this either make your own spiced muffin mix and pour into a donut tin, or as I did, use the Chai Breakfast Muffin mix from 12Health)
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs
- 2 mini Table of Plenty chocolate covered rice cakes
- 1 tablespoon Pure Harvest Coco2 cacao coconut spread
(Note you can easily substitute any of the brands I’ve used for your favourites instead!)
- Place the almond milk, protein, cinnamon, cardamom, cacao +/- stevia in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Spread the cacao spread along the inside of the jar, then pour in the shake.
- Balance the donut on top, cover with yogurt, cacao nibs and rice cakes. Enjoy!